Join us here.
1) Black is this week's signature color because Friday was "Black Friday," the day when retailers cut their prices and consumers flock to the stores. Did you score any "Black Friday" bargains? We did go out, mainly to get lunch and a set of sheets. I’m super picky about sheets, and pretty much only buy Fieldcrest Supima 700 thread count from Target. They never go on sale, so I was pretty happy when I saw that they were 15% off with a 20% off coupon on my next visit. Not much, but 15% is 15%. And I’ll put that coupon to good use buying a Christmas present for someone.
2) Feasting and football are also popular Thanksgiving weekend pastimes. Do your Thursday-Sunday plans include pigging out or watching a game? I literally never watch football, so that’s out. Pigging out is not part of my lifestyle anymore. I’m pretty proud of the 23# I’ve lost since August 1st. I’m also proud of the change in our diets—more veggies and fruit and portion control. My Thanksgiving dinner was about 3 oz of turkey, and a heaping tablespoon each of stuffing, green bean casserole, and cranberry sauce. I was full, so we skipped the mini-pies that we bought and are saving them for another night.
3) At Thanksgiving dinners, Crazy Sam's homemade gravy is always a hit. (Probably because she's so generous with the cognac, which gives the gravy a nutty taste.) What was particularly delicious at your Thanksgiving table? It was a tie between my husband’s cranberry sauce (literally cranberries cooked in orange juice till they pop—yum) and his signature stuffing (stuffing, Jimmy Dean sausage, and mozzarella cheese, moistened with pan drippings).
4) Among the biggest the Black Friday advertisers are Target, Kohl's, Macy's and Best Buy. If you could have a $100 gift card to any one of those stores, which would you choose? Target in a heartbeat. I love their housewares section, so many cool decorating items.
5) This week's song, "Baby's in Black," is about a girl who wears black because she's in mourning. Do you find that the color you're wearing reflects your mood? I’m feeling cozy in my red plaid flannel PJs that my Mom got me for Christmas last year.
6) The woman who inspired this song, Astrid Kirchherr, has been friends with Paul McCartney since he and his bandmates (John Lennon, George Harrison, Stu Sutcliffe and Pete Best) met her in Hamburg back in 1960. Tell us what you believe are the components of a strong, lasting friendship. Giving each other space and respect to be who they are without judging.
7) In the early days of the Beatles, Paul McCartney and John Lennon began writing a play but abandoned it. Do you have a novel, painting, play, song or poem that you're going to finish "someday?" I’m the most non-creative person of the face of the planet, so this one is a no.
8) When he was 16, George Harrison dreamed of moving to Canada, Australia or Malta. In just a few years, he would visit all those places with Beatles and eventually decided there was no place like home and stayed in England (though he did also maintain a home in Hawaii). Have you ever thought about moving to another country? If so, where? I’ve always dreamed of living in England. I’d love to live in the North or in Cornwall. Alternatively, and closer, I’d pick Canada, specifically Vancouver.
9) Random question: Finish this sentence -- If you want me to give you "yes" for an answer, the best time to approach me is _____________________. When I’m tired and sleepy. But that doesn’t necessarily guarantee you a “yes”. I’m a lot better at saying no these days.