1. What is your favorite song lyric? Why?
Favorite right now. It's not very positive, but I'm not feeling hella-positive these days. This is from the song Wildfire, written by Andrew Marlin, and performed by Mandolin Orange.
Civil war came, civil war went
Brother fought brother, the south was spent
But its true demise was hatred, passed down through the years
It should have been different, it could have been easy
But pride has a way of holding too firm to history
And it burns like wildfire
I’m a Southerner. My parents were from New England, but when I was 5, we moved to Mississippi, and I lived in the South for most of the rest of my childhood. I love the South, I love things about the culture, about the placed, but there are also lots of thing that really make me furious…and sad.
These lyrics pretty much say it all about what I hate about the place I grew up. I know it’s painting with a broad brush, and a stereotype, and all that, but MY experience is that it’s more “holding to firm to history” than not. Here’s the tune.
2. Who was the worst teacher you ever had?
Mrs. B. in 2nd grade at Pecan Park Elementary. I have a pretty significant anxiety disorder, and have had, all my life. I chewed my nails and sucked my fingers as a little kid. She beat my hands with a ruler when she caught me. I finally told my Mom and that was the end of that, but what an EVIL person. EVIL.
3. What were 3 things that scared you as a child?
My parents fighting. The aforementioned Mrs. B. My parents fighting.
4. What are 3 things that scare you now?
- Fox News. Seriously, I have seen that shite brainwash my entire family. And swaths of the American people. No Bueno.
- COVID19. People are not taking this seriously enough.
- The morons currently running the country. Scariest thing of all.
5. Would you rather have the power of time travel or the power to see the future?
I’d prefer time travel. Just seeing it, and not being able to change it, would make me nuts.
6. Money, power, or good looks – which would you rather have an unlimited supply of?
Money. I don’t give a crap about power, and looks, lol, well that ship has sailed.
7. Are you jealous of anything?
People who have the means to travel. A lot. I would love that.
8. What makes you feel most loved?
Being given space to be me.
9. Do you believe in soulmates?
Nope. I believe in fate and karma and that, but soulmates not so much.
10. What is something that made you laugh the most?
Goofy shit. Hubs and I are driving down the road, talking about making something with chickpeas. But when I said it, it came out “pickcheas”. We literally laughed till we cried for about the next 5 miles. You say “pickcheas” to me and I will crack up every time.
11. What were 3 of the happiest days of your life?
I can’t quantify my whole life like that…into the three BEST. These were good…
- The day I got the job offer to come back to NM after being away 10 years.
- Graduating Nursing School.
- My daughter’s first word (dog’n—while looking at our Alaskan Malamute, Atu)
12. What is your biggest flaw.
The inability to LET.SHIT.GO. Not in a grudge holding way (well, that too), but in a "I'm so focused on this one tiny thing that I can't even look up to acknowledge anything. The compulsion to stay on task or whatever is real, people. It's selfish, but in a "this is the way my brain is wired" kind of way.
13. Who would play you in a movie about your life?
Have no clue.
14. What is something you experienced that you have no explanation for.
Everything has an explanation.
15. What is the saddest book you ever read?
Where the Red Fern Grows, in high school. I don’t read sad books anymore.
16. What is your dream home like?
This one, but with better flooring (tile!!!), new cabinets/countertops, and fresh interior paint. We got an amazing deal on this house, truly. Our house payment is less than it cost us to rent this place. However, it has ALWAYS been a rental (10+ years) and it’s a bit worn. It would also be nice to have an inground pool, and a catio for the kids. Someday….
17. What creature/insect would most creep you out if you found it crawling on you?
Spiders. Can’t stand them. I would rather have a LEECH on me than a spider.
18. What’s your preferred Monopoly piece?
The dog, definitely
The dog, definitely
19. What was your most embarrassing moment?
Ohhhh, there have been many.
20. Could the earth be flat?
Bahahahahahaha. Those people absolutely crack me up. I am an educated woman. Flat earth. Bahahahahahahahaha.