Saturday 9: The Rain, The Park, and Other Things (1967)
1) The Cowsills were a family band who had three hit singles. Can you name another group of popular singing siblings?
Gladys Knight and the Pips. Gladys, her brother and sister, and two cousins. This is one of my favorite songs of all time (and this is a great version):
2) This was their first hit, and it reached #2 on the Billboard charts. It was kept out of the #1 slot by the Monkees and "Daydream Believer." What's your favorite Monkees song?
Not a big Monkees fan, but I like Daydream Believer well enough.
3) After seeing the Cowsill brothers perform with their mother and sister, TV producers were inspired to create the sitcom, The Partridge Family. Did you ever watch it?
Never missed it when I was a kid. Who didn’t love David Cassidy?
4) In the song, the narrator takes a flower from a girl in the park. Are there flowers in your home right now?
Fake orchids. I can’t grow a thing.
5) He isn't sure if the girl was real, or if he dreamed her. Tell us about a recent dream you had.
I rarely remember my dreams, and when I do, it’s because it was a nightmare, so I’ll pass.
6) At the height of the Cowsills' popularity, they were hired by the American Dairy Association to promote drinking milk. If we were to peek into your refrigerator right now, would we find any milk?
Nope. Lactose intolerant. Although, I do keep a little half and half around for my coffee.
7) After the band stopped performing together, John Cowsill went on to become a back up musician for the Beach Boys. His job has kept him on the road much of the time. When you travel, do you enjoy staying in hotels, or would you rather stay with friends/family?
It depends on the visit. For any reason other than going to my Mom’s house, I’d rather stay in a hotel. I love destination-type 5 star hotels, and will literally save for years to go on a vacation and stay at one. My favorite is El Convento in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. I saved like a fiend for over 5 years to stay here for a week for our 10th anniversary, and it was mad worth it. Here are some pictures of the hotel from our trip.
|Inner Courtyard--the Nispero tree in the right side of the picture is hundreds of years old.|
|Looking out into the courtyard from our "hall"|
|Patios all around the upper stories--this was a favorite for lunch|
|Overlooking the Cathedral, my spot for morning coffee|
|Looking towards the bay|
|One half of our enormous room|
8) In 1967, the year this song was popular, Elvis married Priscilla in Las Vegas. Have you attended any weddings yet this year? Are there any weddings in your future?
Nope. And Nope. I have a limited circle of friends, and they are all married.
9) Random question: Are the bottoms of your feet ticklish?