Saturday 9: Walking on Broken Glass (1992)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
Wanna play? Go here.
1) Annie sings that she feels she's walking on broken glass. What's the most recent item you broke?
A phone charging cord. The end got bent, and it would only trickle charge after that. Fortunately, they are now dirt cheap.
2) She sings about being cut until she bleeds. Tell us about a time you needed stitches.
Our house in third grade had a 4-foot-high wall on one side of the carport. We used to play Olympics and use it like a balance beam. I feel off and smacked my forehead on it on the way down. Off to the emergency room we went. The scar, fortunately, is hidden in my hairline. My brother did the same thing another day, and has virtually the same scar.
3) This week's featured artist, Annie Lennox, was born on Christmas Day. Do you know anyone whose birthday falls on a holiday?
Mine, every 7 years. I was born 2 days after Thanksgiving, 1962. My next Thanksgiving birthday will be in 2022.
4) When Annie met Dave Stewart, with whom she'd form the duo The Eurthmyics, she was living in Australia and staying in a tiny apartment called a bedsit. The occupant has his/her own combination bedroom/livingroom with cooking facilities, but must share a bathroom. Tell us about one of your early apartments.
The first apartment I had was a one bedroom in an ancient complex near the shipyard in Newport News, Virginia. It was a shite neighborhood, and our place got broken into once. We had nothing of value, lol, so it wasn’t that big of a deal.
5) After the Eurythmics broke up, Annie went out on her own. Would you rather work independently, or as part of a group?
Independently. I hate group projects. Hate them with a passion.
6) Among her many honors, Annie Lennox was named chancellor of Scotland's Glasgow Calledonia University. What's the last college campus you visited? What brought you there?
University of New Mexico. We had to walk through a portion to get to a restaurant we wanted to go to.
7) In 1992, the year this song was recorded, compact discs outsold cassette tapes for the first time. Back in the day, did you enjoy making your own mix tapes?
Not particularly. Too much effort.
8) Also in 1992, Johnny Carson made his last appearance as host of The Tonight Show. The catchphrase, "Here's Johnny!" was associated with the show. Can you think of another popular TV catchphrase?
Nanu-Nanu—Robin Williams as Mork from Mork and Mindy.
9) Random question: Think of your past week. Now look ahead to the coming week. Would you like it to be more, or less, exciting?
Less exciting. It’s my first week back to work after 3 weeks off, so I’m highly doubting it’s going to be less anything. It will be grueling.