1. What’s something no one wants to hear but everyone should?
How they sound, like on a recording. This was an eye opener for me when I was in Junior High. We moved to Connecticut (which I despised), and I was bullied for my Mississippi accent (which of course, I didn’t think I HAD). Once I heard myself (or rather how other people heard me), I worked to tone it down. Which is sad, but at that time in my life, was a matter of survival (or at least it felt like that). I still use ya’ll and other Southern-isms, but I’ve left “ain’t” behind, among other things.
2. What’s the most annoying animal you’ve ever encountered?
Lily, our formerly feral. I love her, and would never think of rehoming or any of that, but let me tell you, formerly feral kitties are a challenge. I dream of a world without cat pee in it. Just sayin.
3. How much does language affect our thinking?
I have no idea what this question is asking. Maybe I’m overthinking it.
4. Do you prefer to watch movies in the theater or in the comfort of your home?
In the time of COVID, in the comfort of my home, for sure. We used to enjoy going to the movies, but I don’t see that being a thing for the foreseeable future.
5. What topic could you spend hours talking about?
Right now, old times. It’s been nice to reminisce with my family about our lives.
6. If you could run away from it all and start fresh somewhere new, would you?
I don’t think so. Been there, done that. I’m done starting over, I like my job, my community, my home.
7. What’s the most polarizing question you could ask a group of friends?
Ha. Who did you vote for would be prettttty polarizing. I have work friends on both sides of the aisle, but only one I talk politics with. She’s as blue as I am. The other one I really enjoy, but wouldn’t dream of bringing up politics, because I know her views are very Trumpian.
8. Do movies have the same power as books to change the world?
I think so.
9. What would you rate 10/10?
Lot’s of things. But my favorite Banh Mi (a Vietnamese sandwich made on French bread, stuffed with various meats, cucumber, carrot, radish, cilantro, and fresh jalapeño with a sriracha mayo). This place gets my vote today. Coda Bakery….10/10!
10. What are you really good at, but kind of embarrassed that you are good at it?
I kill at Trivial Pursuit.
11. Who do you go out of your way to be nice to?
Everyone pretty much. Manners make the world go round.
12. What problems will technology solve in the next 5 years? What problems will it create?
This is way too big a question for me this morning.
13. What from the present will withstand the test of time?
14. What movie would be greatly improved if it was made into a musical?
I’m not a huge musical fan, so I’d have to say …. Nada.
15. What is something common from your childhood that will seem strange to future generations?
It already seems strange. It was common to let kids just run around the neighborhood without adult supervision, even little kids. We all just sort of explored, ran as a pack, and generally had a good time. Mom would say “go outside and find something to do, come back when it’s dinner time” I don’t think parents do that these days. Mom was telling me yesterday that she said this to my 3 year old brother one time, and he got on his tricycle and road about a mile. A nice lady brought him back. They didn't call social services on my Mom, lol. I think today would have been very different.