Join us here.
1. Who is your favorite singer? What do you like about him or her?
Right now, I’ve got a moratorium on music, because my
tinnitus is off the hook. And generally,
I don’t have a favorite. I love Emily
Frantz’s voice (she of Watchhouse and Mandolin Orange). Their rendition of Boots of Spanish Leather
really sends me, so here it is, from The Ryman, in 2019.
2. Write about your first memory of going to the doctor.
I was 15 and sitting on the ledge of my tack box at the barn where I kept my horse, eating an éclair. I was struck by a bolt of pain so intense I thought I had died. A kidney stone. I rode my bike 3 miles or so home, and Mom took me to the emergency room, which is the first “doctor” I remember (I’m quite sure there were pediatricians in there throughout). I was hospitalized, had surgery, and came home.
3. Write a poem about writing poems.
I love poetry
I cannot write poetry that works in my OCD head
I read poetry and wonder why
I am not a poet
4. Write a poem about vacations.
Yearning for time away
For road trips
For plane trips with luxury seating
For five-star hotels that I cannot afford
5. What is something interesting that no one knows about you?
I once loved to dance the jitterbug.
6. Why is it so important to help other people in need?
Because we are human and it's the right thing to do.
7. Would you rather finish a project early or do it at the last minute? Why?
Last minute. I work better under pressure.
8. If you had three months left to live, what would you do?
Seriously?! I’d probably be freaking out the whole time. I’d want to spend time with my brother and his wife and their daughter. I’d want to see my daughter, hug her, tell her I’m sorry, and hold my grandchildren close just one time. I’d want to say I’m sorry to the people who deserve it. Cook many wonderful meals for my husband. Get my affairs in order. Be present. Work, because that’s what fulfills me. And try to come to terms with my life. That would be much harder, I think. A life of work….that’s the template I was given…but was it enough? I have no clue. I have more questions than answers.
9. If you could be a flavor of ice cream, what flavor would you be? Why?
I haven’t a clue.
10. What is the hardest thing about being a kid?
Trying to understand adults.
11. Would you rather be tall or short? Why?
Tall. Because everyone else was. And I couldn’t reach the 2nd shelf of the cabinets. How does a girl with a 6’4” father and a 6’2” brother end up 5’2”. Fucking genes.
12. What is the greatest challenge facing people in our world today?
Avarice in the people who lead them. They don’t work for us. Just themselves.
13. What is the scariest experience you’ve ever had?
Not going there.
14. Write a poem about music.
Far better poets have done this than I.
15. Write about a favorite memory of something you did with your best friend.
My best friend is my husband. My best memory of us is in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, in 2015. We had an amazing trip, stayed at El Convento, did the Pork Road, wandered old San Juan for a week, and just enjoyed life.